The Environmental policy of the Federal State Unitary Enterprise "National Operator for Radioactive Waste Management" (hereinafter NORW) and its branches
The mission of NORW is to ensure the environmental safety of the Russian Federation in the field of final isolation of radioactive waste.
The main goal of the Environmental policy of NORW is to ensure environmentally oriented development of the enterprise and its branches while maintaining a high level of safety and reducing the risks associated with the final isolation of radioactive waste.
The Environmental policy of NORW is based on the provisions of the Environmental Policy of Rosatom and its subsidiaries.
When planning and implementing radioactive waste management activities, the enterprise follows the following principles:
- the principle of conformity - ensuring compliance of its activities with legislative and other regulatory requirements and standards, including international ones, in the field of environmental safety and protection of the environment;
- the principle of presumption of the potential environmental hazard of an activity - the realization that any activity can have a negative impact on the environment and the priority of mandatory consideration of environmental factors and assessment of possible negative impact on the environment in the planning and implementation of the activity;
- the principle of scientific validity of decisions - a scientifically sound approach to making environmentally significant decisions by management and officials with the involvement of the expert community, as well as the mandatory use of modern and challenging scientific achievements;
- the principle of coherence - a combination of the environmental, economic and social interests of the enterprise and the population, public organizations, state authorities and local authorities in the regions where branches are located in the interests of sustainable development and ensuring a proper environment and environmental safety;
- the principle of environmental efficiency is ensuring of a high environmental performance, reducing the negative impact on the environment from the activities of subsidiaries and the use of natural resources at a reasonable level of costs;
- the principle of information openness is observance of the public right to receive reliable information on the state of the environment in the regions where NORW divisions and branches are located in accordance with the established procedure, transparency and accessibility of environmental information;
- the principle of readiness, the instant readiness of the management and employees of the enterprise to prevent, localize and eliminate the consequences of possible human factor accidents and other emergencies;
- the principle of acceptable risk, a risk-based approach for environmentally sound management decisions;
- the principle of continuous improvement, continuous improvement of environmental protection and safety management systems, through the application of environmental performance targets and indicators;
the principle of best practices, the use of advanced domestic and foreign experience to improve the quality of the environment and ensure environmental safety.